Call it the side effects of being affluent or call it the byproduct of your job; a direct relation exists between weight increase and your lifestyle.
There is a difference between being overweight and obese. Obesity in simple terms means excessive body weight with a BMI (Body Mass Index) of 30 or more. Overweight refers to being in the category of having a BMI between 25-29.9. BMI is a measure of your body fat based on your height and weight. Calculate your BMI through our tool here.
Here’s how you increase the chances of being ‘obese’ through your lifestyle:
- Food habits: Fast food is easily available, tasty and filling. However, it can lead to numerous health problems. The primary one being ‘weight gain’. Fast food is very high in calories and can result in bloating, high cholesterol, acne and various other illnesses.
- Sedentary Lifestyle: With technological advancements, there are many gadgets to our life that we practically indulge in no physical labor. According to John Hopkins Medicine, there is weight gain and other risks associated with in activity.
- White collared jobs: Most of us, especially those living in metros and working in offices have no exposure to the sun. Most of the time, people are sitting in front of the computers for long hours. No access to sunlight and fresh air; this is also a cause (which is often neglected) for weight gain as mentioned in the article by Science Daily.
- Late night meals: In today’s lifestyle, we tend to work for long hours, it becomes inevitable to eat late in the night. Since there is hardly any time gap between dinner and sleeping time, the food does not get digested properly. This leads to fat accumulation and other digestive problems.
- Inadequate sleep is another reason for weight gain. Studies show lack of sleep interferes with the hormones that control appetite. Hence, it is important to get 7-8 hours of sleep daily for a healthy appetite and weight management.
Thus, obesity is closely related to lifestyle. Making slight changes in your lifestyle will go a long way, not just in controlling your weight, but also in improving your overall health.
You can meet excellent nutritionists now near your location through Doctoruna.com, a platform made just for you for ease of access of healthcare