Boost your Immune Power to keep Infections at Bay
Human beings have realized the fact that a healthy, simple, and disciplined lifestyle is the key to ward off illnesses. If you wish to boost your natural bodily defense by strengthening your immune system, then you should make a conscious effort to make positive changes.
You can help your body fight disease-causing germs, bacteria, and viruses by remaining healthy and fit. The immune system comprises numerous biological structures that aim to protect you against diseases. Every living being possesses some basic form of immune system to act as a natural disease-shield.
Let us explore helpful tips that can fortify your immunity naturally:
- Good sleep – Getting good sleep and immunity are closely interlinked. Poor quality sleep can lead to ill-health and sickness. Inadequate sleep weakens your immune power and makes you susceptible to bacteria and virus infections. Adults need a minimum of eight hours of sleep every night while teenage children and young kids need a minimum of 8 to 10 hours of restful sleep to strengthen their natural immunity.
- Plant-based foods – Eating plant foods such as veggies, fruits, seeds, herbs, and legumes are filled with antioxidants and nutrients can boost your immune strength to fight harmful pathogens. Fibrous foods help raise healthy gut bacteria and fuels-ups your digestive tract. Fruits and vegetables that are rich in vitamin C can reduce common cold infections.
- Probiotic supplements – Probiotics contain good beneficial bacteria that can populate the digestive tract. Most fermented foods such as yogurt, kefir, natto, and tempeh have gut bacteria that help the immune cells to know when harmful organisms invade the body and successfully eliminate them.
- Less sugar – Sugar and sugary products are nothing but refined carbohydrates that need to be taken in moderate or lesser quantities. According to research, too much sugar intake can cause the disproportional spread of the body fats leading to obesity, heart ailments, and type 2 diabetes. Another observational research points out the fact that obese people who were given flu vaccine were still at risk of contracting the flu because of being overweight.
- Regular exercise – Engaging in daily moderate exercise can toughen your immune system. Studies indicate that doing moderate physical training can boost the potency of vaccines in people with weak immune systems. Exercise such as brisk walking, cycling, jogging, swimming, and playing football can be considered as moderate forms of physical workouts.
- Staying hydrated – Drinking water may not directly protect you from becoming ill but it can help your immune cells stay strong and healthy. Dehydration can lead to severe health complications and cause headaches, mood swings, and digestion problems to name a few. You can keep yourself hydrated by drinking eight glasses every day. Water is the best fluid as it is free from sugar components and other additives.
- Managing stress – You may experience stress and tensions in your daily life. However, reducing stress levels is key to good health and a powerful immune system. Long-term stress can be very bad for your body as it imbalances the functions of the immune cells and can even suppress the immune response against diseases. You can try meditation, yoga, physical workouts, and engage in other mindful therapies to keep yourself stress-free. You can also consult a reputed therapist or counselor to discuss your stress issues.
- Supplements – You can turn to nutrient supplements to boost your immune strength and help fight flu-like symptoms. However, in the case of COVID-19, there is no supporting evidence that any kind of alternative remedies can prevent or cure the novel coronavirus. Nevertheless, you can boost your immune response by taking supplements or food that contain vitamin C, vitamin D, Zinc, Elderberry, and Echinacea.
You can work on improving your lifestyle to build-up your immunity. You can follow the above-mentioned steps by limiting your sugar intake, drinking enough fluids, working out, getting restful sleep, and keeping your stress level under control.
Reinforce your immune power to fight harmful viruses. It is noted that when healthy people are down with infections, their robust immune response can facilitate faster clinical recovery.
DoctorUna.com launched in the United Arab Emirates in 2012, Egypt and Jordan in 2013 and recently in Kuwait in 2014. The purpose of DoctorUna is to allow patients to quickly search for doctors from across a broad range of specialties, compare them and easily book a convenient appointment. DoctorUna gives doctors access to a larger pool of patients, streamlines and better manages their appointment booking process so they can spend more time caring for patients.