Hemiplegia is a form of paralysis caused by trauma or stroke. It mainly affects one side of the body. Most often the arm, leg, and trunk on one side are affected. Hemiplegia is a neurological condition characterized by loss of movement, sensation, and control in the damaged area. Patients suffering from hemiplegia do experience periodic pain.
The condition is caused by severe brain damage or injury to the spinal cord. It can cause several issues such as loss of muscle control and weakness. Hemiplegia condition could be mild or severe depending on the gravity of the injury. Types of hemiplegia include facial hemiplegia, spinal hemiplegia, contralateral hemiplegia, spastic hemiplegia, alternating hemiplegia, and congenital hemiplegia.
Hemiplegia disorder that onsets before the birth of a baby or within two years of his/her birth is called congenital hemiplegia. It is a non-progressive disease and the symptoms do not escalate or get worse.
- Weakness and stiffness in the muscles of one side
- Permanently contracted muscle
- Low motor skills
- Difficulty in walking
- Poor balance
- Poor grip on things or objects
Brain-related injury & hemiplegia symptoms
- Partial memory loss
- Lack of concentration
- Speech issues
- Behavioral changes
- Sudden seizures
- Stroke – It is one of the leading causes of hemiplegia condition. The strokes that occur inside the womb can cause hemiplegia in newborn babies.
- Infection in the Brain – A brain infection may permanently damage the cerebral cortex. Infection-causing fungi, parasites, viruses, or bacteria can be responsible for such illnesses.
- Brain Trauma – A head trauma can cause acute brain damage. The damage occurring to only one side of the brain can trigger hemiplegia. Accidents including car collisions, physical assaults, and sports injuries can cause brain trauma.
- Rare Mutation – In cases of rare gene mutation, babies can develop alternating hemiplegia. This causes mild and temporary signs of hemiplegia condition that may come and go. It is a very uncommon genetic condition.
- Brain Tumor – Tumor in the brain can lead to many physical illnesses that can include hemiplegia. The symptoms can worsen as the tumor progresses.
Hemiplegia treatment in Dubai is offered based on the intensity of the symptoms. Curative measures like physiotherapy, multidisciplinary rehabilitation, specialized therapies such as mCIMT or modified constraint-induced movement therapy, mental imagery therapy, electrical stimulation, and assistive devices such as wheelchairs or braces may be recommended to improve the patient's condition. Get valid details on hemiplegia treatment in Dubai cost through resourceful online sources.
Although hemiplegia is known to be a permanent health condition, it is not progressive and the symptoms can be controlled with medical treatment. You can check out the best hemiplegia doctors in Dubai by connecting with the DoctorUna web portal. Find the most cost-effective medical centers in the UAE amidst a wide network of specialist doctors offering advanced medical care and support.
DoctorUna.com launched in the United Arab Emirates in 2012, Egypt and Jordan in 2013 and recently in Kuwait in 2014. The purpose of DoctorUna is to allow patients to quickly search for doctors from across a broad range of specialties, compare them and easily book a convenient appointment. DoctorUna gives doctors access to a larger pool of patients, streamlines and better manages their appointment booking process so they can spend more time caring for patients.