Is your child having a coughing fit? Does he experience breathing troubles? It can be a condition known as croup. Croup in young children is an acute respiratory disease, typically characterized by constant cough, hoarseness in voice, and breathing difficulties.
Croup child causes may include upper airway infection in the larynx region, infection in the lower windpipe region, inflammation near the trachea, laryngeal membranes inflammation, or an inflamed bronchial tree. Subsequently, the leading cause of croup in children is viral infections triggered by influenza and parainfluenza viruses. These infections are more common in young children below the age of three years. Croup condition usually strikes in winter or late fall.
Croup Child Symptoms
- Croup may begin as a common cold
- The child with inflammation may soon develop a cough
- Typical barking cough that can worsen when the child is agitated or crying
- The child may develop fever and hoarse voice
- The breathing can be labored accompanied by a whistling noise
- Symptoms may worsen at night
- Symptoms can last up to 3 to 5 days
Croup Child Treatment
Croup child condition can be treated at home. In some cases, the child needs to be taken to a doctor, emergency room, or croup children's hospital in Dubai. Treatment is offered based on the severity of the disease and its symptoms.
Lifestyle Changes & Home Remedies
The illness usually runs its full course within a span of 3 to 5 days. You can keep your child in relative comfort at home by adopting some simple measures:
- Offer comfort – Distract the child by playing a quiet game, reading a book, or cuddling him/her. Do not let the child cry as it can aggravate the condition.
- Provide cool and humidified air – Sitting with the kid in a steam-filled bathroom that is generated by hot water can give some relief. The child can even be encouraged to breathe the cool fresh air coming through a window.
- Comfortable position – You can hold the child upright so that the breathing gets easier. You can place the kid in your lap or chair.
- Give fluids – Infants can be given breast milk. For older kids, you may give hot soup or even frozen fruit pops.
- Encourage sleep – Rest and sleep can help fight the symptoms giving adequate relief.
The Link Between Coronavirus & Croup
Medical studies reveal that croup could possibly be one of the manifestations of Covid-19 in young children. Omicron Covid variant could also cause severe symptoms of croup in children. The viral infection can display symptoms that affect the respiratory, gastrointestinal, or nervous system. Croup v/s covid in a child can be deeply co-related. While a clinical diagnosis indicating croup may be determined, it could be the underlying symptoms of novel coronavirus.
When to take your child with croup symptoms to a hospital?
You may wish to see a doctor or visit a hospital if your child's condition is worsening or lasts longer than five days. When the child is no longer responding favorably to home treatment, you need to contact a pediatric specialist in Dubai.
To know the exact croup treatment cost in Dubai, all you need is to tap your phone and visit the DoctorUna app. DoctorUna is one of the leading medical portals in the UAE that helps connect patients with the right doctors. Gain all info about the best croup doctors in Dubai, UAE through their interactive app or website.
DoctorUna.com launched in the United Arab Emirates in 2012, Egypt and Jordan in 2013 and recently in Kuwait in 2014. The purpose of DoctorUna is to allow patients to quickly search for doctors from across a broad range of specialties, compare them and easily book a convenient appointment. DoctorUna gives doctors access to a larger pool of patients, streamlines and better manages their appointment booking process so they can spend more time caring for patients.