Myasthenia Gravis or MG is a rare neuromuscular disorder that causes muscle weakness. MG occurs when the normal connection between the nerves and the muscles is damaged or broken. Although there is no known cure for myasthenia gravis, correct diagnostic treatment and care can relieve the severity of the symptoms. It can also offer relief to the patients. This uncommon disease mostly affects women under the age of 40 and men older than 60 years.
Myasthenia Gravis Symptoms
The neuromuscular disease usually worsens with time, especially when the specific muscle that is affected is put in use. MG can damage any of the muscles used for voluntary control.
Some noticeable symptoms of myasthenia gravis include:
- Drooping eyelids (one or both eyes)
- Double vision
- Impaired speech
- Difficulty in eating and chewing food
- Change in facial expressions
- Difficulty in walking and holding your head up
- Difficulty in using the arms and hands
- Breathing issues
If you have any of these signs that are slowly progressing, you should seek a doctor's appointment without delay.
Causes of Myasthenia Gravis
- Antibodies – Certain antibodies may impair the function of the muscle-specific receptor protein. This specific protein is called tyrosine kinase and it helps in connecting the nerve-muscle junction. Similarly, antibodies can also damage the function of another protein called LRP4, which can lead to myasthenia gravis disorder.
- Thymus Gland – In some people, the thymus gland can be abnormally big and that could trigger the growth of myasthenia gravis. Some also develop benign tumors that can become cancerous.
- Hereditary – In some newborn children, they develop a rare form of myasthenia gravis that is also known as a congenital myasthenic syndrome.
Factors that could trigger or worsen the condition
- Common illness and infections
- Specific medications
- Anxiety and stress
Myasthenia Gravis neurologists in Dubai will review your present condition, symptoms, and past medical records. They may then do a physical examination and recommend several tests such as neurological examination, blood analysis, ice pack test, nerve stimulation, imaging, EMG, and pulmonary function test.
Myasthenia Gravis treatment in Dubai may involve many steps. Two or more treatments can be given simultaneously in an attempt to relieve symptoms. The curative treatment can depend on the severity of the disease, the patient's age, and the progressive nature of the illness.
If you want an ideal medical search engine that can connect you to the best doctors in the UAE, simply log on to DoctorUna. This platform offers you free service to find the best physicians by location, nationality, specialty, gender, and insurance. Book your appointment today!
DoctorUna.com launched in the United Arab Emirates in 2012, Egypt and Jordan in 2013 and recently in Kuwait in 2014. The purpose of DoctorUna is to allow patients to quickly search for doctors from across a broad range of specialties, compare them and easily book a convenient appointment. DoctorUna gives doctors access to a larger pool of patients, streamlines and better manages their appointment booking process so they can spend more time caring for patients.