Migraine – Painful Headache with Sensory Disturbances
Do you experience pain on just one side of your head? Do you feel nauseous whenever you have a headache? Do not rule it out as just another headache. It could be symptoms of migraine. Migraine headache is caused due to some complex changes within the brain. The chemical changes lead to a throbbing pain sensation on one or both sides of the head followed by other symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, light, sound and touch sensitivity.
Be aware of these prodrome symptoms that occurs a day or two before you get a splitting migraine. The subtle changes can warn you of an upcoming attack, they are:
- Feeling constipated
- Sudden mood changes
- Sudden food cravings
- Stiffness in the neck area
- Feeling very thirsty and frequent urination
- Yawning at regular intervals
Migraine Headache Symptoms
The most common symptoms of a migraine headache include:
- Eye pain
- Extreme sensitivity to bright light or sound
- Vomiting and nausea
- A pounding pain in the head (on one side of the head)
Migraine headaches are also triggered by numerous factors such as stress, extremely loud noises, hormonal changes, and specific types of foods. Therefore, a person suffering from migraine should always keep away from places prone to noise pollution and avoid getting too stressed.
Migraine disease can be classified into six to seven types
- Absence Migraine – This common migraine has no complications such as aura. Almost 80% of people suffering from migraine disorder have absence migraine
- Classic Migraine – This is a migraine associated with an aura that occurs before the onset of the pain. It is a severe form of migraine.
- Acephalic Migraine – It is a migraine disorder minus the headache. In this case, the patient has all the other signs and symptoms of migraine such as aura, vomiting, nausea, etc.
- Hemiplegic Migraine – This type of migraine has peculiar symptoms that mirror a heart stroke like sudden weakness or numbness on one side of the body and loss of physical sensation.
- Retinal Migraine – This migraine causes temporary loss of vision in any one eye. The symptoms could last from a few minutes to several months, but the problem is usually reversible. It indicates a grave underlying health issue and patients should seek an appointment with a medical practitioner.
- Chronic Migraine – It occurs for more than 15 days every month. It is a persistent and painful migraine disorder.
- Status Migrainosus – It is a persisting and constant attack of migraine and symptoms lasts over 72 hours.
Migraine Headache Treatment
Migraine attacks can be controlled or prevented with OTC or over-the-counter medications and prescription drugs. Medications that are used to treat migraine attack fall into two main categories:
- a) Abortive Treatment – Using medication drugs taken during the attack period to stop the painful symptoms.
- b) Preventive Medications – They are prescription drugs taken on a regular basis to reduce the frequency of the attacks and lessen their intensity.
All treatment patterns depend on the severity and relative frequency of the migraine headaches and related medical conditions. One can also introduce lifestyle changes with dietary plans and daily exercises to reduce migraine attacks and their regular occurrence. A new drug in the form of monthly injections called 'calcitonin receptor' or CGRP-R approved in the year 2018 has arrived to provide considerable relief to patients. An expert neurologist in UAE can help you combine old and new procedures to relieve migraine symptoms.
Migraine VS headache
The only known similarity between a throbbing migraine and an agonising headache is that both cause much pain and suffering. Migraine attacks are different as they also cause vomiting, light and sound sensitivity. Stress-related headaches can give you muscle tenderness in the head, neck or shoulder area. In the case of normal headaches, there are no associated health conditions like nausea or sensitivity issues.
What part of your head hurts when you have a migraine?
Migraine attacks cause unbearable pain in your head. The pain may occur on one side of your head or it may target both sides. You may also experience pain in the forehead, temple area and at the back of the neck.
Is migraine curable?
Yes, migraine is definitely a curable disorder, doctors claim that its chronic progression and severity of the pain can be controlled so that the patient leads a normal life without becoming clinically symptomatic.
What causes headaches and migraines?
While headaches are caused due to illness or stress, migraine attacks develop due to various triggers. From emotional triggers to hormonal changes; all kinds of stress, anxiety, shock or depression can start a migraine attack. Some women have migraine symptoms at the onset of the menstruation cycle.
What actually happens inside the brain during a migraine?
When brain cells get overly excited, they create waves of activity. These waves trigger the serotonin chemical. When the serotonin level changes in the brain, it results in migraine.
DoctorUna.com launched in the United Arab Emirates in 2012, Egypt and Jordan in 2013 and recently in Kuwait in 2014. The purpose of DoctorUna is to allow patients to quickly search for doctors from across a broad range of specialties, compare them and easily book a convenient appointment. DoctorUna gives doctors access to a larger pool of patients, streamlines and better manages their appointment booking process so they can spend more time caring for patients.