Psychologists are certified professionals trained to study the human mind and its behavior pattern. Psychological study helps support people suffering from mental illnesses. The Psychologists may specialize in varied sub-fields such as forensic psychology, sports psychology, or health psychology to name a few.
What duties do psychologists perform?
Professional psychologists have completed their education in clinical and academic psychological study to understand the workings of the conscious and subconscious mind. They offer services to patients with mental issues and those coping with distress. A psychologist in the UAE may offer his service depending on his area of specialization.
While psychologists may use numerous methods to treat their patients, psychotherapy is the common-most approach aimed at providing support to people diagnosed with mental symptoms. In most cases, the best psychologists in Dubai prefer to work along with other healthcare specialists like a family physician, psychiatrist, and social worker.
You may find psychologists working under private practice clinics, hospitals, schools, or universities. Some psychologists also work as diagnostic specialists or do clinical research as scientists.
Types of Psychological Specialties
Psychologists doctors in Dubai specialize in one or more areas of psychology that are duly recognized by the American Psychological Association
- Clinical Neuropsychology – This specialty helps to grasp the complex relationship between the human brain and related behavior
- Clinical Health Psychology – is supportive of all clinical services related to psychology with an aim to promote both physical and mental health
- Psychoanalysis – is a specialty that focuses on the human subconscious mind and its working to understand and bring a positive behavior change.
- Clinical Psychology – offers supportive care for patients afflicted with mental health issues.
- School Psychology – Therapists work with students, children, parents, teachers, and caregivers within the school environment
- Child/Adolescent Psychology – is aimed at treating small infants, children, and teenage adolescents.
- Organizational Psychology – is a specialty to study human behavior in companies, organizations, and workplaces.
- Counseling Psychology - Counseling is done for people suffering from all kinds of emotional, social, health, job-related, or academic issues at any given age group.
- Behavioral and Cognitive Psychology – This is a specialty treatment that applies learning and cognitive principles to deal with behavioral and thought-related problems.
- Forensic Psychology – Therapists trained under forensic psychology operate within the legal system in the country
- Family Psychology – is aimed to address all issues related to families and close relationships
- Sleep Psychology – works on sleep-related mental disorders
- Geropsychology – This therapy focuses on mental health issues faced by older citizens
- Rehabilitation Psychology – It helps people cope with problems after recovering from a traumatic illness or grave injury
- Group Psychotherapy – Helps identify mental issues of a collective group and encourages group leaders to support their group members
- Serious Mental Illness Psychology – This therapy is aimed at helping patients deal with severe mental problems such as schizophrenia
- Psychopharmacology – Helps in the development of drugs and scientific research following the psychological principles.
How can psychologists help?
You can seek psychological treatment from specific psychologists of your choice. For instance, if you prefer Indian clinical psychologists in Dubai, you can make an appointment with them through DoctorUna.
The best Psychologists in Abu Dhabi, Dubai, or Sharjah can offer you supportive treatment for mental health issues that include:
- Providing supportive medical care to patients dealing with addiction
- Helping patients deal with anxiety and depression
- Diagnosing ASD or autism spectrum disorder and offering remedial measures
- Offering diagnostic treatment for ADHD or attention deficit hyperactivity disorder
- Giving supportive care to patients afflicted with dementia
- Helping treat people suffering from insomnia and chronic health conditions
- Providing help and support to people dealing with obesity
Difference Between a Psychiatrist and a Psychologist
A psychiatrist is a medically trained doctor who is certified to prescribe medication for patients. Psychiatrists are also licensed to provide professional psychotherapy sessions. Psychologists may be entitled to a doctorate, but they are not certified as medical doctors and therefore cannot prescribe medicines to their patients. Psychologists mainly focus on psychotherapy and use behavioral and cognitive mediation to relieve the emotional and mental turmoil of the patients.
Psychotherapy in Dubai
It is also popular as talk therapy. Psychotherapy involves verbal communication between the patient and the psychotherapist about his mental condition and related behavior. As a patient, you can become aware of your shortcomings such as bad mood, negative feelings, behavior, and anger issues. Psychotherapy sessions can help you cope with stress and learn anxiety management skills. You can also seek psychotherapy sessions from the best psychologists in Sharjah and neighboring areas.
There are many approaches to psychotherapy aimed at improving mental health. The duration and the completion of the sessions on the progress of the patient. For some people, therapists provide intensive and long-term treatment. You can request a male or female psychologist in Dubai according to your preference. Sessions can be private one-on-one therapy can be given in a group. Therapists may also want the family members to join the sessions to treat the patients.
You can be selective and choose a reputed therapist who can understand your language. For example, if you are from Kerala, you may request a Malayali psychologist in Dubai for your psychotherapy sessions.
Stimulation Mental Treatments
For mental issues like depression and anxiety disorders, medications and psychotherapy may not always work. In such cases, transcranial magnetic brain stimulation, deep vagus nerve stimulation, and electroconvulsive therapy can be used to treat patients with complex mental issues. It is advisable to discuss with your local physician and psychotherapist the related risks and benefits of the treatment course recommended for you or your family member.
Different Categories in Psychotherapy Treatment
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy – CBT helps change negative or harmful thinking or behavioral patterns into positive functional thoughts and behavior. It helps the patient to deal with his current problems and introduces new skills that can be successfully employed in his daily life. From trauma, anxiety disorders, and depression, CBT is used to treat many kinds of disorders.
- Interpersonal Therapy – IPT helps identify underlying interpersonal mental issues such as deep-seated grief, conflict with loved ones, workplace issues, etc. It is not a long-term plan of treatment. It can help people communicate in a better way and learn to express their emotions in other healthy ways. IPT is a popular mode of therapy for treating clinical depression.
- Psychoanalysis – It is an intensive therapy that involves psychodynamic treatment. Psychoanalysis sessions are offered 3 to 4 times a week by an experienced therapist. Therapists analyze psychic phenomena and encourage patients to talk about their past experiences and dream sequences.
- Dialectical Behavior Therapy – It is a part of Cognitive Behavior Therapy to control human emotions. It can help in treating patients with borderline personality disorder, PTSD, and with suicidal tendencies. The therapy can change thought patterns and unhealthy behavior.
- Psychodynamic Therapy – It works on the unconscious mind and the influences related to bad childhood experiences and inappropriate continual thoughts. The patient is motivated to change his old thought patterns and become self-aware.
- Supportive Therapy – It works on building the patient's self-esteem, communicative skills, and core strength to cope with difficult times. Supportive psychotherapy deals with mental health issues and helps patients develop natural resources to tackle them.
Other therapies can be combined with psychotherapy to improve patients' mental health conditions such as creative arts therapy. In this, the patients are encouraged to work on their creative skills like arts, drama, or music. Then there is animal-assisted therapy, which involves working with animals and to help patients get love and comfort. Animal-assisted therapy works well with patients dealing with trauma.
Psychologists in Dubai Price (consultation and therapy sessions)
Consultation with top Psychologists in Dubai may vary, they can be anywhere between 350 AED to 1200 AED for a single session. The pricing also depends on the area. For instance, if you live in the Jumeirah area, sessions with a psychologist near your place won't come cheap.
When to seek professional help from a certified psychologist?
You need to visit a psychologist if you have the following symptoms:
- Feeling stressed constantly due to the present pandemic situation
- Experiencing intense sadness
- Not finding it easy to deal with everyday challenges
- Dealing with drug addiction
- Having constant suicidal thoughts
- Experiencing mental, emotional, or physical abuse
If you are experiencing emotional, behavioral, or cognitive issues that are persistent and growing, you need to see a reputed psychologist in Dubai. Parents, family members or caregivers who suspect that their loved ones are suffering from ADHD or other mental disorders should seek expert help. It is best to book an appointment with a specialist through hassle-free online medical channels like DoctorUna.
Find psychologists in American Center or German Neuroscience, American Hospital in Dubai or any other hospital by contacting DoctorUna medical services. Be it Kerala or Pakistani psychologists in Dubai, get doctors by location, insurance, specialty, or gender here! Book your appointment today!
DoctorUna.com launched in the United Arab Emirates in 2012, Egypt and Jordan in 2013 and recently in Kuwait in 2014. The purpose of DoctorUna is to allow patients to quickly search for doctors from across a broad range of specialties, compare them and easily book a convenient appointment. DoctorUna gives doctors access to a larger pool of patients, streamlines and better manages their appointment booking process so they can spend more time caring for patients.