The world at large is going through a tough time dealing with a deadly pandemic. Nowadays maintaining social distancing is the key to prevent the spread of infections. In most of the countries, outdoor activities are banned, people are experimenting with physical training sessions at home.
While doctors, health workers, sanitation workers, and police personnel are doing their duty to protect mankind against COVID-19, it is our duty to stay safe at home and venture out only if it is necessary. As a silver lining, taking advantage of the digital era, you can perform various activities from the comfort zone of your home. For example, online classes have resumed for school children and most of the fitness studios are conducting online exercise sessions for their participants.
Staying fit during a pandemic is the best way to tackle the ongoing crisis. Health experts feel that there is a direct connection between your dietary habits and your general health. Nutrition undoubtedly plays a vital role when it comes to your mental and physical well-being. Keeping your body fit and active is the best and ultimate solution to prevent virus attacks.
The Importance of Physical Exercises & Activities
Keeping yourself active helps boost your immunity. A lazy sedentary lifestyle can make you susceptible to chronic diseases and also shrink your immune strength. Remaining physically active during the COVID-19 pandemic can literally save your life. There are many ways to remain active throughout the day. For instance, you can practice a physical training routine for half an hour every day from your balcony or terrace. You can take the aid of online gym sessions or recorded exercise videos. You can also indulge in household activities like cleaning and sweeping the floors to remain active.
Risk of catching an Infection
People who are at risk of getting infected include older adults above the age of 65, individuals with chronic health conditions, and individuals with poor immune systems. You can eliminate such risks by doing physical activities.
Health Benefits derived by performing Physical Exercises
- Reducing Stress – People are anxious and stressed due to the current pandemic. Rising anxiety can lower the immune power of your body. By exercising, you can help release certain chemicals like endorphins and serotonin to relax your mood and lower the feelings of depression and anxiety.
- Immune Booster – Regular physical activity can aid in boosting your immune system so that it functions efficiently. A good immune system can naturally fight against harmful pathogens and viruses.
- Managing Weight – If you continue with disciplined physical activity on a daily basis along with the consumption of nutritious food, it can be effective in managing body weight. You can fight obesity and excess fat accumulation in your body by doing regular exercise. Excess weight can lead to serious health risks.
- Preventing Diseases – PA or physical activity sessions can reduce blood pressure, lower body weight, control type 2 diabetes, and help manage heart disorders. A balanced diet and regular PA can strengthen your body to fight all kinds of bacteria and viruses.
- Improving Bone & Muscle Strength – According to scientific research, physical activity is key to improving bone and muscle strength. Older citizens keen on physical training enjoy robust health minus bone injuries and strained muscles.
- Boost Kids Growth – In these times of home quarantine, kids can be taught mental and physical activities so that they grow healthy, strong, and learn new skills. Children participating in exercises may have better chances of fighting virus infections. They may gain stronger bones, good immune power, a healthy heart, and perfect weight by dedicating some quality time to PA.
Physical Activity You Can Do At Home
- Perform mild or moderate exercises daily or three times a week (for 30 to 40 minutes).
- Put more focus on cardio training such as skipping, spot running, push-ups, planks, and jumping
- Do not exercise if you are feeling unwell, you can do workouts after a rest period of 2 to 3 days
- Avoid training with others, maintain social distancing
- Wash and clean your face, hands, and legs before and after the workouts
- Eat nutritious food and sleep adequately to improve your immune system
- Help with household chores
Become Fit, Exercise Daily & Enjoy your Stay @ Home!
DoctorUna.com launched in the United Arab Emirates in 2012, Egypt and Jordan in 2013 and recently in Kuwait in 2014. The purpose of DoctorUna is to allow patients to quickly search for doctors from across a broad range of specialties, compare them and easily book a convenient appointment. DoctorUna gives doctors access to a larger pool of patients, streamlines and better manages their appointment booking process so they can spend more time caring for patients.