Tips to Keep Those Snoring Monsters Away
Image courtesy of Photo by nenetus at FreeDigitalPhotos.net
Are you the easy target of friends and family members thanks to your snoring habit? Do you snore loud enough to disturb your spouse? Do you want to stop snoring and start sleeping better?
Well, you are not alone; as per a recent statistical survey by the American Academy of Sleep Medicine, almost 40% adults (men) and 24% female adults are confirmed snorers. In medical terms, snoring is a vibratory motion of the respiratory organs and the snoring sound emitted is due to some obstruction in the air movement that happens while the person is sleeping.
Snoring is definitely a nuisance and most people who habitually snore have sleeping disorder known as 'Obstructive Sleep Apnea', wherein the breathing gets disrupted during the sleep hours. Such people are at a higher risk of developing medical complexities like heart disease, hypertension and chronic headaches.
Did You Know!
- Men snore more than women in a ratio of 2:1. However, women become active snorers once they reach menopause age
- Almost 6% kids under the age of 10 years snore habitually
- A term known as 'Socially Unacceptable Snoring' or SUS simply refers to intolerable loud snoring that actually disturbs the bed partner's sleep quality.
- Snoring can indicate serious health issues such as tumors or cysts in the throat region
- A structural deformity of the nose can also lead to habitual snoring
Learn to stop snoring naturally
Positive natural solutions and significant lifestyle changes can really help you stop snoring.
- Discover a more comfortable sleep position
- Lose the excess body weight
- Practise disciplines and good nocturnal sleep hygiene
- Make sure your nasal passages are clean and dry
- Change your pillows frequently
- Drink lots of water
Stop snoring with the help of exercises
This is crazy: But you can actually exercise your way to stop snoring! Let's find out more about stop snoring exercises for the throat
- Repeat vowels (a, e, i, o,u) loudly for 2 to 3 minutes a couple of times in a day
- Try to shut your mouth and purse your pretty lips. Hold the pursed-lip position for 30 to 40 seconds
- Open your mouth, move your jaw effectively to the left and right. (hold positions for 30 seconds)
- And for some added fun, sing your way for better muscle control (throat region) that can reduce the snoring habit
Stop snoring permanently with these remedies
- Stay fit and healthy
- Try to sleep on your sides
- Try using external nasal dilators or handy nasal strips
- Get treatment for chronic allergies
- Avoid having alcohol before going to bed
- Try to avoid consuming sedatives before going to bed
1) How can I stop snoring ASAP?
Good health is the ultimate key. You can also limit your alcohol intake and cut down on cigarettes for a snore-free night. Likewise, keeping the bedroom a bit humid and trying different sleeping positions may also help. Ask your family doctor if any medications may be acting as a trigger.
2) What causes snoring while sleeping?
Snoring occurs when movement of air through the nose and throat is restricted during sleep. This causes the surrounding tissues to vibrate and produce the 'snoring' sound. People who have floppy throat or nasal tissue are also prone to this snoring vibration.
How should I sleep to stop snoring?
You can change your usual sleeping position and place your head on an elevated platform (at least 4 inches). The tongue and jaw have to be in a forward position, also make sure the neck muscles do not crimp. Sleeping on the sides rather than on your back can also prevent snoring.
Can snoring cause death?
Snoring is a serious problem, a sign that something is not right within your body. It can also mean that you have 'obstructive sleep apnea'. According to medical research, sleep apnea can cause health issues like diabetes, hypertension, heart problems, stroke, impotence, and even death.
The causes of snoring may be complicated and differ from person to person. Some snorers may be diabetic while others may be simply obese. Best methods to stop snoring may involve a combination of lifestyle changes and treatment with anti-snoring remedies.
In short, snoring causes loss of quality sleep for you as well as your bed partner. A good night's sleep is priceless and lets not forget the glaring truth behind the lines penned by the popular novelist Anthony Burgess “Laugh and the world laughs with you; snore and you sleep alone”.